Canvas is the LMS that makes teaching and learning easier. Flipgrid is the video discussion platform that makes teaching and learning more personal, fun, and engaging. Integrate the two platforms seamlessly with Flipgrid's Canvas integration!
- Canvas Access Control - Only students in your Canvas course can access your connected Grids.
- Speedgrader - Add a Flipgrid Topic for your next Canvas Assignment. Student videos automatically show up in Speedgrader.
- Anywhere, Anytime - As long as students click the green + within Canvas, they can record on any computer or on the free Flipgrid iOS + Android apps.
- ***Please note, Flipgrid does not support a system-wide integration or admin-level setup. Instead, teachers must individually do this for each course they want to use Flipgrid with.
To use the Flipgrid Canvas integration, educators must first have a Flipgrid account. Visit admin.flipgrid.com to login or create your 100% free educator account.
Part 1 - Adding the Flipgrid App to your Canvas Course
- Within Canvas, select one of your courses from the sidebar menu.
- Select Settings from the navigation menu and then Apps from the tab.
Once the External Apps view loads, search for Flipgrid.
- Select Flipgrid and click Add App.
- Login to your Flipgrid account and go to the integrations section https://admin.flipgrid.com/manage/integrations
- Select the Add New Integration button and name your integration (e.g. Spring Course, hour 2).
- Copy your Flipgrid key & secret into the Canvas fields
Part 2 - Adding Flipgrid Assignments
- Refresh your course and select the Flipgrid option in the left sidebar.
- You will be prompted to "Connect Flipgrid to Canvas" - click Create a Course Grid.
- Once that has been completed, click the Settings option in your course sidebar. Then select the Navigation tab. Drag the Flipgrid item down to the Disabled Links area. (This will force students to use Assignments to access Flipgrid so their responses show up in Speedgrader).
- Within your Canvas course, select Assignments and click the blue + Assignments button.
- Fill in the necessary fields you would normally want for a Canvas assignment, then scroll to the Submission Type box.
- Under the Submission Type drop-down menu, select External Tool. Click Find and select your Flipgrid configuration from the modal.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page. You will now be re-directed to the Flipgrid Admin, where you can view and edit your Flipgrid Assignment Topic.
FAQs for Flipgrid + Canvas
As the educator, I see "Course not connected"
Adding a Flipgrid integration must be done individually by the course teacher and there must be a brand new integration for each course. To add the integration, your role in the course must be designated as "Teacher." Select the People tab on your course sidebar and confirm your role is marked as Teacher.
My students are struggling with finding the Flipgrid assignment on mobile.
To participate on a mobile device, make sure students have the Flipgrid app downloaded from the Android Play Store or iOS App Store, then follow these steps:
- Tap the "Submission" tab within this Assignment
- Tap "Launch External Tool".
- Tap the green "plus" button where you will be prompted to "Open in app."
My student’s Flipgrid response is not showing up in speedgrader. Why isn’t it showing here?
To successfully submit a video for their assignment, students must navigate to the Flipgrid topic via their Canvas Assignments sidebar. If they do not, the video will submit on the Grid but will not show up under Speedgrader. The only option to fix this is by having the student record again.
My Canvas App Store does not show Flipgrid. How can I add Flipgrid as an app?
If the Canvas App Store has not been enabled for you, or if Flipgrid does not appear as an option, follow these steps to manually add it:
- Within Canvas, select one of your courses
- Select Settings from the navigation menu and then Apps from the tab Click the blue + App button
- Under Configuration Type, select By URL in the drop-down menu Enter a name for the app in the Name field (example: Flipgrid app)
- To generate a Consumer Key and Shared Secret follow steps 1-4 in the "Installing Flipgrid" section above and add them to the fields.
- Lastly, copy and paste <https://static.flipgrid.com/source/canvas/flipgrid_canvas.xml in the Config URL field and then click the Submit button.
- If necessary, refresh your Canvas page to see Flipgrid listed in your sidebar.
- Select it to manage Flipgrid content in your Canvas course.