Welcome to the Canvas LTI integration! Flipgrid has collaborated with Canvas to connect the two platforms, and make it easier for leads to share Flipgrid directly with their Canvas members.
With this integration, leads can:
- Create Canvas Assignments that come with Flipgrid Topics connected, so member responses there appear in SpeedGrader.
- Give members access to those Topics from their Canvas accounts, so they don't need to use a password or other login credentials.
Check out this video for an overview of the installation process, and a tour of how Flipgrid can enhance your Canvas Assignments - led by Andy Knueven, a Flipgrid ambassador!
When you're ready to begin, please follow these steps closely:
- Getting ready
- Create your Consumer Key and Shared Secret
- Add the Flipgrid App to your Canvas Course
- Create a Canvas Assignment that uses Flipgrid
- Check that the Flipgrid Topic was created correctly
- Further reading
- Leads must have their own Flipgrid and Canvas account.
- For Flipgrid: create your free lead account at https://info.flipgrid.com/.
- For Canvas: ensure you have a Teacher account and not 'Course Designer' nor 'Administrator'.
- Individual leads need to install the integration themselves - a system-wide or admin-level setup will cause issues.
- Have a look at Canvas: Features and Limitations to see what you can/can't do with the integration.
Create your Consumer Key and Shared Secret
Please see Canvas: Find your Consumer Key and Shared Secret - you'll need these for the next step.
Add the Flipgrid App to your Canvas Course
- Select your Course on Canvas
- Select Settings from the navigation menu on the left, and then the Apps tab at the top
- Type 'flipgrid' into the search box, and then click on Flipgrid
- Click + Add App, and a dialog will appear on screen
- Enter a name for the installation e.g. 'Flipgrid Account 1', copy-paste the Consumer Key and Shared Secret, and then click Add App
You only need to do this ONCE per Course. If the App Store is disabled on your account, or if Flipgrid doesn't appear as an option, please see Canvas: Flipgrid missing from Canvas App Store to add it manually.
Create a Canvas Assignment that uses Flipgrid
Please ensure you create a NEW Assignment - the integration won't work if you simply change the settings for an existing Assignment.
- Select Assignments from the navigation menu on the left, and then click + Assignment at the top
- Scroll down to Submission Type, and select External Tool in the drop-down menu
- Click Find under 'Enter or find an External Tool URL', select your Flipgrid integration, and click Select
- (Optional, but recommended) Check the box for Load This Tool In A New Tab
- Enter the rest of the Assignment details and options, and then click Save at the bottom
Check that the Flipgrid Topic was created correctly
When you create a Flipgrid Assignment, Flipgrid will automatically create a new Topic for you and connect it to the Assignment. If this is your first Flipgrid Assignment in that Course, Flipgrid will also create a new Group for the Course and place the Topic there.
You cannot change which Topic is connected to the Assignment - this also means you cannot connect a previously-created Topic.
- After creating the Assignment, you should see the Flipgrid Topic embedded into the Assignment page.
- If you selected 'Load This Tool In A New Tab', you should see a button labeled Load [Assignment name] in a new window instead - click this button.
- If you see a dialog that says 'Connect Flipgrid to Canvas', go ahead and click Create a Course Group - this sometimes appears when you've created the first Flipgrid Assignment in that Course.
Once you're able to see the Flipgrid Topic embedded in your Assignment page, or open the Topic in a new tab, your Flipgrid Assignment is ready to go!
For members to access the Flipgrid Topic, they need to start from the Canvas Assignment first and let the LTI integration redirect them to Flipgrid - you can find full instructions in our Canvas LTI FAQs.
|Canvas LTI FAQs||
|Canvas LTI Troubleshooting||
|Canvas: Features and Limitations||
|Canvas LTI Integration - Uninstall||