Flipgrid collaborated with Canvas to develop an LTI, bringing the two platforms closer together and making it easier to share Flipgrid directly to your Canvas students! The main goals for this integration was two-fold:
- Use the student's Canvas access so they don't need to track additional password or login information
- Allow Flipgrid Topics to connect to Canvas Assignments so that the Responses recorded by students show up in Canvas SpeedGrader.
What follows is a comprehensive step-by-step guide to setting up the Flipgrid LTI in Canvas. Before starting, educators must have both a Canvas and a Flipgrid account. For Canvas, please ensure it is a "Teacher" account and not "Course Designer" or "Administrator". For Flipgrid, please visit admin.flipgrid.com to log in or create your 100% free educator account.
Before we get started, a couple quick tips about using Flipgrid inside Canvas:
- You won't have to create a Group for Flipgrid manually. Instead, you allow Canvas to generate one via the LTI when adding your first Assignment.
- Students using Canvas on mobile will need to start from with Canvas first, and then it will ask them to open the Flipgrid app.
Part 1 - Add the Flipgrid App to your Canvas Course
- Within Canvas, select one of your courses from the sidebar menu.
- Select Settings from the navigation menu and then Apps from the tab.
Once the External Apps view loads, search for Flipgrid.
- Select Flipgrid and click Add App.
- Login to your Flipgrid account and go to the integrations section https://admin.flipgrid.com/manage/integrations
- Select the Add New Integration button and name your integration (e.g. Spring Course, hour 2).
- Copy your Flipgrid key & secret into the Canvas fields
Part 2 - Add a Flipgrid to an Assignment
- Within your Canvas course, select Assignments and click the blue + Assignments button.
- Fill in the necessary fields you would normally want for a Canvas assignment, then scroll to the Submission Type box.
- Under the Submission Type drop-down menu, select External Tool. Click Find and select your Flipgrid configuration from the modal.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page to finish creating your Canvas Assignment.
- You will now see the Canvas Assignment you created and a new Flipgrid Topic automatically generated, which your students will now be able to access!
With each new Assignment you create, you will follow Part 2 above - you will only need to reference Part 1 again each time you create a new Course. If you do encounter issues, we strongly encourage you to reference our Canvas LTI FAQ's and Troubleshooting articles. Below you will also find a video created by Andy Knueven, a Flipgrid ambassador, on how to go through the entire installation process outlined above: