Flipgrid works very hard to make sure all students' voices can be part of the discussion, regardless of how they share their voice.
Here is more information on how Flipgrid strives to be inclusive of everyone:
- Closed Captions - By default, all new Grids have Closed Captions turned off. Educators can turn on Closed Captions and all new videos automatically have Closed Captions added. Teachers can edit closed captions within their educator account.
- If you forget to turn on, old videos won't have Closed Captions. Only new videos will have Closed Captions.
- Our team is working to increase capacity and we hope to default captions on by default in the future!
- Immersive Reader - Microsoft's Immersive Reader is built into Flipgrid to help young learners, students with dyslexia, and to translate text. The Immersive Reader helps students with features like reading text out loud, breaking text it into syllables and increasing spacing between lines and letters. Learn more about Immersive Reader.
- Student Generated Transcripts - Students can include their own transcripts as an attachment link. The final step before submitting their video they can edit their display name, add a Title, and attach a Link. They just need a URL to a document with their transcript (Google Doc, Word online, or something similar).
- Text with Video - Students participate using video on Flipgrid and they have a number of options to add text to their video submissions. In addition to attaching a text file, students can style their video with text or drawing. Additionally, students can upload a picture of their text transcript as a sticker to place alongside their video.
- Accessibility best practices - We make sure Flipgrid is navigable by keyboard, works with voice-over & screenreader technology, font sizes can be increased, and other best practices for accessibility.
You can find the latest Accessibility Conformance Reports by going here and searching for Flipgrid - https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/government/2018/09/11/accessibility-conformance-reports/
Contact us with any questions or ideas on how we can improve our accessibility!