School IT departments leverage web content filtering to track and regulate access to websites. On school-issued devices, IT departments will typically have the ability to grant or deny access to leads and members, respectively. If members try to access a website blocked by the IT department, they’ll receive a block notification message on that web page and not be able to view or interact with any content.
Web content filtering is available on all major web browsers (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and others) and there are many IT applications that have web content filtering features.
Leads should be accessing the Flipgrid Lead Dashboard to create groups and manage the discussions in those groups. Members should be accessing Flipgrid via a Join Code they received from their lead to participate in those groups.
Flipgrid has specific URLs for the Lead Dashboard and member group Join Codes. These URLs can be configured for web content filtering with these general instructions:
- Set a web content filtering policy for members that blocks this URL: https://admin.fligrid.com/* or these specific paths:
- Apply this policy to your members’ devices
To test the policy, here are the expected results:
- Members will be able to join a Flipgrid discussion with their class and lead. All Flipgrid discussions start with this URL path: https://flipgrid.com
- Members will not be able to sign into the Flipgrid Lead dashboard (https://admin.flipgrid.com) and because they can't access the Lead Dashboard they will not able to create Groups or Topics that aren't monitored.
- Leads will be able to sign into the Flipgrid Lead dashboard (https://admin.flipgrid.com) to manage Groups, Topics, view the Discovery Library and GridPals and modify their Profile.
Lead Dashboard (https://admin.flipgrid.com)