One method educators can choose for students and participants to join a discussion is with a student email. Student emails are the most secure method for students to join and allows students the ability to manage their own videos with MyFlipgrid.
Student emails must be managed by Microsoft or Google.
Setting up Student Email Access
- Log into your free educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
- Select the Actions button to edit your Topic or Group or create a new Topic or Group.
- Scroll down to the Access Control section. Select Student Email.
- Add your student email(s)
- Add email domains: Allow access to students with a common email domain. A domain is anything after the @ sign. For example, adding @flipgridstu.com would allow any student with that domain to join (they must also have the Join Code)
- Add individual emails: Allow specific email addresses access. For example, adding firstname.lastname@example.org would only allow the student with that specific email to join.
- Update or create your Topic or Group
What's the difference between setting up Topic versus Group access?
Groups and Topics can have their own access controls. Students can join a discussion by accessing a Topic directly, or by accessing a Group and selecting from all the Topics within the Group.
When sharing access to the Topic directly, students must meet the access control defined for the Topic. Topic Join Codes and Links are usually a random mixture of letters and numbers. Example: https://flipgrid.com/a591dc5d
When sharing access to the Group, students must meet the access control defined for the Group. Students who join the Group can then access any of the Topics within the Group, regardless of the access controls specified on the Topic level. Group Join Codes and Links are commonly customized by the educator to make it easy for learners to join. Example: https://flipgrid.com/FGrid3567
Share with Students
Students will need to verify their email by logging into their email using Microsoft or Google. Only students with an email that matches the allowed emails in the access control settings will be allowed to join.
What if your students don't have student emails? Learn more about Student Username Access Control for younger learners to enter a custom Username or easily scan a QR badge.
Want to share access with families and friends? You can add a Guest Password for those participants to join! Learn more about Guest Password access.