Leads can specify which emails or domains can join a group and its topics. Emails and domains must be managed by Microsoft or Google. After you set up emails or domains, you can choose how to share your group.
Important: To have the option to limit members who can join your group, you must select "Only people you approve" in your group details under "Link." Learn more about who can join your group with the two available link options.
The difference between an email and a domain is:
- Email: You can add individual member emails to a group. This means that only those emails are allowed to join the group.
- Domain: You can add specific school or district domains. A domain is everything after the “@” in an email, for example “@school.edu”. When you choose this, anyone who has an email with that domain can join.
Tip: If you’re prompted to sign in, make sure to choose the email host (Google or Microsoft) that corresponds with the apps your organization uses. For example:
- If you use Google Classroom, Docs, and Drive, sign in with Google.
- If you use Word, OneDrive, or Teams, choose Microsoft.
Note: If your members don't have emails, they're able to join with a username or QR code.
How to add members by email or domain
To add members to a group, you’re able to enter emails one by one in your group settings. If you want to add multiple emails at once, you can create a spreadsheet file with a list of emails and upload it to your group.
Important: You can only add a list of members by spreadsheet on Flipgrid on web.
To upload a spreadsheet, the file format must be ".CSV" (also known as "Comma delimited"). Other file formats won't work. Download our spreadsheet template.
- Go to admin.flipgrid.com.
- To create a new group: Click +Group.
- To add members to an existing group: Next to the group you want to update, click Edit Group .
- Scroll to "Email." Next to it, click the down arrow .
- Add emails or domains.
- One by one: In the text box, enter the individual member emails or domain.
- Upload a list: Above the text box, click Upload a CSV. Then, select the file you want to upload.
- At the bottom right, click Create group or Save changes.
The spreadsheet should include a single heading: "email". Here's an example of how to format the spreadsheet:
- Open the Flipgrid app.
- From the groups screen, select the group you want to update.
- Tap Members > Invite members > Email.
- In the text box, enter an email or domain.
- When you finish, at the top right, tap Done.