If your students don't have Microsoft or Google accounts, Flipgrid makes it easy to secure your discussions using Student Usernames! Student Usernames are created by the educator and can be as simple as the student's name, initials, lunch pins, or any easy-to-remember combination you want. When creating a Student Username, a unique QR code is also created for the student so they can join by scanning the QR code on the free Flipgrid app for mobile devices and tablets.
Educators may add up to 250 Student Usernames at a time by uploading a CSV but can have unlimited students per Topic and Group.
Setting up Student Username Permission
- Log into your free educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
- Select the Actions button to edit your Topic or Group or create a new Topic or Group
- Scroll down to the Permissions section. Select Student Username
- Add your Student Usernames
- Upload a list of students; or manually add each student's first name, last name, and username
- After adding the student, you can print a QR code for the student to scan to join the discussion
- Tip: Add some numbers or special characters to each username to make them unique
- Note: Student Usernames are case and space sensitive
- Update or create your Topic or Group
What's the difference between Topic and Group Permissions?
Share with Students
Students will need to verify their identity by entering their Student Username. Only students with an added Username in the Permissions setting will be allowed to join.
Do your students have a Microsoft or Google account? Learn more about Student Email Permission.
Want to give Permission to families and friends? You can add a Guest Password for those participants to join! Learn more about Guest Password Permission here.