If your students don't have Microsoft or Google accounts, Flipgrid makes it easy to secure your discussions using Student Usernames! Student Usernames are created by the educator and can be as simple as the student's name, initials, lunch pins, or any easy-to-remember combination you want. When creating a Student Username, a unique QR code is also created for the student so they can join by scanning the QR code on the free Flipgrid app for mobile devices and tablets.
Educators may add up to 250 Student Usernames at a time by uploading a CSV but can have unlimited students per Topic and Group.
Setting up Student Username Access
- Log into your free educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
- Select the Actions button to edit your Topic or Group or create a new Topic or Group
- Scroll down to the Access Control section. Select Student Username
- Add your Student Usernames
- Upload a list of students or manually add each student's first name, last name, and username
- Once you add the student, you can print the QR code for the student to scan when joining the discussion
- Note: Student Usernames are case and space sensitive
- Update or create your Topic or Group
What's the difference between setting up Topic versus Group access?
Groups and Topics can have their own access controls. Students can join a discussion by accessing a Topic directly, or by accessing a Group and selecting from all the Topics within the Group.
When sharing access to the Topic directly, students must meet the access control defined for the Topic. Topic Join Codes and Links are usually a random mixture of letters and numbers. Example: https://flipgrid.com/a591dc5d
When sharing access to the Group, students must meet the access control defined for the Group. Students who join the Group can then access any of the Topics within the Group, regardless of the access controls specified on the Topic level. Group Join Codes and Links are commonly customized by the educator to make it easy for learners to join. Example: https://flipgrid.com/FGrid3567
Share with Students
Students will need to verify their identity by entering their Student Username. Only students with an added Username in the access control settings will be allowed to join.
Do your students have a Microsoft or Google account? Learn more about Student Email access control.
Want to share access with families and friends? You can add a Guest Password for those participants to join! Learn more about Guest Password access here.