Flipgrid works to ensure all students' voices can be part of the discussion, regardless of how they share their voice. An important feature for video accessibility is closed captions. Flipgrid automatically generates closed captions for all new videos. Closed captions can be updated or changed within each Topic's settings.
Educators can set a different language, edit the closed captions for individual videos, or turn off closed captions.
Change the language or disable closed captions
By default, Topics will have closed captions turned on to caption English. Flipgrid offers 11 different languages video responses can be transcribed in.
- Visit your educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
- Create a new Topic or edit a Topic by selecting the pencil icon
- Within the Topic Essentials, change the language or disable the captions
- Create or update the Topic to save the changes
Edit Closed Captions for a video
The closed captions are automatically captioned by Microsoft's Azure services. This service works great if there is minimal background noise and participants speak clearly. Sometimes, there can be errors with the captioning, so Flipgrid provides a way for educators to edit closed captions as well. Keep in mind, only educators can edit closed captions, but students have a few different options for including text in their videos.
- Visit your Educator account at admin.flipgrid.com.
- Within Discussion, select the Topic or go to your Group and select the Topic
- Scroll to the list of video Responses
- Next to the video Response, select Actions and Edit Captions on the video you'd like to edit the captions
- Save your changes by selecting Update Captions
To learn more about how to edit closed captions, check out this article.