Flipgrid works very hard to make sure all students' voices can be part of the discussion, regardless of how they share their voice. An important feature for accessibility is closed captions and Flipgrid automatically generates these for all new videos.
Educators can set a different language, edit the closed captions for individual videos, or turn off closed captions.
Change the language or turn on/off closed captions
By default, new Grids will have closed captions turned off but you can turn them on at anytime for new videos. There are 11 languages videos may be processed in. Also, educators can choose to turn off closed captions and new videos will no longer be processed. Here's how to edit your closed caption settings:
- Visit your educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
- Use the Actions button to select Edit Grid (not to be confused with editing a Topic)
- Scroll down to the Features section and under the Captions setting, select a language to display auto-generated captions.
Edit Closed Captions
The automatically generated closed captions are processed by Microsoft's Azure services and work great if you eliminate background noise and speak clearly. Sometimes, there can be errors so Flipgrid provides a way for educators to edit closed captions as well. Keep in mind, only Educators can edit closed captions, but students have a few different options for including text in their videos.
- Visit your Educator account at admin.flipgrid.com.
- Select the Grid by clicking on the name.
- Scroll down to see a list of Topics. Select the Topic where the video is in by clicking on its title.
- Scroll down to see a list of videos. Use the Actions button and select Edit Captions on the video you'd like to edit the captions.
To learn more about how to edit closed captions, check out this article.