Educators can add an unlimited number of Topics. Topics are the conversation prompts or questions and are the key to learners sharing their voice by recording a Flipgrid video. Topics can be shared individually or as a part of a Group*.
Need some inspiration? Check out our Discovery Library for Topics created by our partners, like the Met, or our community of educators
Creating a Topic
- Educators can create a free Flipgrid account or log into their Educator Dashboard by going to admin.flipgrid.com
- Within Discussion, within the Topics tab, select the blue Add a Topic button
- Customize your Topic with Topic Essentials and set the Access Control
- Optional: Select the More Options to add attachments, a custom rubric, launch dates, and more
- Create the Topic
- Title: Name your Topic.
- Prompt: Add in your discussion prompt or instructions for your learners. Learners can reference these details in the Flipgrid camera as well!
- Recording Time: Determine the maximum recording length for learners
- Captions: Set the correct language for your closed captions or turn them off
- Video Moderation: Default submitted videos to be hidden from students until approved by the educator. Learn more about Video Moderation.
- Media: Add a video, image, or link a resource that will stand out to your learners
Access Control determines how learners will join the Topic. Learners must have the Join Code or Link and log in using one of the following methods:
- Student Email: Students will join using their Microsoft or Google email. Add multiple email domains or individual emails.
- Student Username: Students will join using a custom username created by the educator.
- Guest Password: Share join access with families and guests using a password.
- Public: Allow anyone with the Join Code or Link to access the Topic
Other Options to customize your Topic
For additional Topic settings, select the grey Other Options button on the bottom right. Reference this Topic to view some of these options: https://flipgrid.com/fdd3401d. These additional settings include:
- Topic Attachments: Link additional resources, like online articles or slideshow
- Status: Make the Topic Active, Hidden from learners, or Frozen (view-only) upon creation
- Scheduled Dates: Activate or freeze the Topic on a specific date
- Notifications: Receive email notifications when videos are submitted
- Download and Share: Determine whether or not students have access to download their own videos after creating it
- Require Email for videos: Require students and learners to include an email address to submit their video
- Topic Followers: Allow students and learners to get email notifications when new videos are submitted to the Topic. Students can subscribed in the top right of the student view for a Topic or Group
- Video and Selfie Styles: Determine when students can use filters, stickers, and more camera effects
- Video Editing: Determine if students can trim, delete, or re-arrange clips in their video
- Attachment Links: Determine if students can include an link with their video submission
- View Count: Display or hide the video counts from students
- Likes: Allow students to like videos
- Sticky Notes: Allow or hide sticky notes in the camera when recording
- Basic Feedback: Use the default rubric to provide feedback
- Custom Feedback: Add or edit your own custom criteria for providing feedback. Learn more about Feedback.
*Topics can be added to a Group once they have been created by going to the Topic Actions. New Topics can also be created when viewing a Group as well.