We work very hard to make sure Flipgrid is inclusive and accessible to all. If turned on, all Flipgrid videos are automatically transcribed and close-captioned by Microsoft Azure. In addition to changing the language and disabling closed captions, Educators can also edit closed captions. Students can't edit their closed captions but they can add custom text to their videos. Learn more here.
How to edit closed captions on Shorts videos:
- Visit your Educator account at admin.flipgrid.com.
- Go to your Shorts videos in the top menu
- Select the Shorts video
- Select the Edit Captions video on the bottom right
- Edit your captions and update!
While editing, there are a few options:
- Edit text: Edit the text if there are any incorrect captions.
- Combine: Combining the caption will merge the text field with the one above it to create one longer caption. This is helpful for short captions.
- Split: Splitting the caption will break the text in that caption into two separate captions. This is helpful for long captions.
How to generate new closed captions on Shorts videos:
Educators can also generate brand new captions on-demand! You can use this feature to change the language of the captions.
- Generate closed captions will overwrite the version that is currently saved
- English is always set as the default closed caption language
- Changing to a different closed caption language will not be saved as the default setting
1. Select the Short from your library of Shorts
2. (a) If your Shorts is long or has recently been created, please check back shortly for the closed captioning to appear.
2. (b) Once your closed captions have finished processing, select Generate Captions
3. Select the desired language you would like the closed captions to match ex) Select Spanish if you are speaking Spanish
*Note: Closed captions does not translate your audio to a different language. It is only able to pick up the language you are speaking and provide the closed captions. ex) Speaking English and selecting French will not generate French translations.
4. Check back momentarily for your closed captions to appear. Refresh the page.
5. Congrats! You have been able to generate a different language for your Shorts!