Welcome to Flipgrid! To ignite your learners' discussions, you will need to set up your Educator account, create a classroom (we call them Groups!), and share your first Topic.
Topics are discussion prompts that you create and your students respond to that prompt with a short video.
Step 1: Sign up for a free Flipgrid account
Before you begin, you'll need a Microsoft or Google account. Please note your email may be associated with Microsoft or Google even if it doesn't end with @outlook.com or @gmail.com:
|If your school or organization uses...||You have a...|
|OneDrive, Outlook, Teams, Word||Microsoft account|
|Google Classroom/Docs/Drive, Gmail||Google account|
If you don't have either account, select Sign Up with Microsoft/Google and follow the steps to create one.
To create your free Flipgrid account:
- Go to https://info.flipgrid.com/, and select Signup in the top-right corner
- Select Sign Up with Microsoft or Sign Up with Google
- Choose an email
- If you're going to use Flipgrid for your school or organization, use the email provided by them to sign up.
- If you're not sure whether your email is hosted by Microsoft or Google, try logging in to your email in another tab before creating your account. When you select Sign Up with Microsoft/Google, your email should appear as an option.
- Share your location, and identify the type of community you wish to create
- Confirm you're an adult by entering your birth date
- You must be 18 or older to sign up for a Flipgrid account.
- Your birthday is only used to verify your age, and we won't save this information.
- That's it! You've created your free Flipgrid account 🎉
Step 2: Create a Group
Groups are a shared space for your learners to join the Discussion. To set up your Group:
- Name your Group (Classroom 15 or Mrs. Smith's Science Room)
- Set your Permissions, or how learners will join your Group (Student Emails, Usernames, or Google Classroom for students)
For a full walkthrough, check out this article on how to create a Group.
Step 3: Share your Group
Now that your Group is created, invite your learners to join or test it out yourself!
Share the Join Code or link with your students, families or community. Educators can share the Group using the blue Share button to share the Join Code or Link to Microsoft Teams, Google Classroom, Remind, embed, QR code, or simply copying and pasting it to share with your learners in a different platform, such as email. If you created usernames for younger students make sure to share those too.
- Students receive the Join Code or link and must log in with their email or username.
- Families who want to join a Topic can receive the Join Code and must log in with the guest password
Step 4: Record videos on the Topic or create a new Topic
Within your Group, we've automatically created your first Topic for you, called Hello, I am... for an easy way to invite your learners to introduce themselves to Flipgrid! To view the Topic in detail, select the Topic in the Topics table.
Feel free to test this Topic out by going to your Group or invite your students to Join.