Have a question about Flipgrid with Canvas, or the LTI integration? Check out these FAQs!
- How do students access the Assignment? It keeps asking for a Join Code or password!
- How can I split students into smaller groups within the Course?
- Can I use Flipgrid in Canvas without the integration?
- Why is the 'Share' button greyed out on my Flipgrid Topic?
- How can I duplicate or copy an existing Flipgrid Group or Topic to Canvas?
- Where's Flipgrid on the Canvas App Store?
- Why is Flipgrid missing from the sidebar in Canvas?
- Can I reuse the Consumer Key and Shared Secret?
How do students access the Assignment? It keeps asking for a Join Code or password!
If the LTI was successfully installed, students need to open the Canvas website or app first to join the Flipgrid Assignment - and they won't need a Join Code nor password.
- Log into the student Canvas account, and navigate to the Assignment
- The Flipgrid Topic will either load directly on the Assignment page, or there will be a button to load it "in a new window" - click this
- If they're on a computer:
- Record right away by clicking Record a Response
- If they're on a mobile device:
- Download the free Flipgrid app first, from the Android Play Store or iOS App Store
- Tap the Submission tab within the Assignment
- Tap Launch External Tool
- Tap Record a Response, and then Open in app after the prompt
- They will be dropped directly into the recorder on the Flipgrid app
Once they've recorded and submitted their response, the videos will appear in the Canvas SpeedGrader for educators to review.
How can I split students into smaller groups within the Course?
The integration is built to include all students that can participate in the Course, so this feature is unavailable at this time. If you don't need the SpeedGrader integration for Flipgrid, you might consider skipping the LTI with Canvas and simply share individual Flipgrid Topics with smaller groups in your Course via Join Links.
Can I use Flipgrid in Canvas without the integration?
You can still share Flipgrid Groups and Topics in Canvas via the usual methods e.g. Join Code or embedding into the web page. Check out these articles for more details!
Please note, however, that responses to Flipgrid Topics shared this way will not appear in SpeedGrader since they're not connected to Canvas.
Why is the 'Share' button greyed out on my Flipgrid Topic?
The Group is integrated into Canvas, so it can't be accessed by others outside of the Canvas Course - and students must access it from inside Canvas. If you'd like to share the Topic with others, you can disconnect the Group from Canvas:
- Access your Educator account at https://admin.flipgrid.com
- Click the Actions drop-down for the Group, and select Disconnect From Canvas
Please note the following, however, that will also show in the warning dialog when you click 'Disconnect':
- The Canvas Assignment will no longer work with the Group, and this connection cannot be restored. You will also lose the ability to provide feedback via SpeedGrader.
- If you continue to use the Assignment, Flipgrid will create a new Group and Topic, and connect them to that Assignment.
- Any videos that had been recorded previously will still be in the Group on Flipgrid.
Finally, so your students can access the Group afterwards, you'll need to select an Access Control for it:
- In the same Group, click Actions -> Edit Group or the blue pencil button
- Scroll down to 'Access Control'
- Select either private access (Student Emails, Student Usernames, or Guest Password) or public access - learn more about the different Access Types here
- Click Update Group at the bottom to save your changes
How can I duplicate or copy an existing Flipgrid Group or Topic to Canvas?
Where's Flipgrid on the Canvas App Store?
Why is Flipgrid missing from the sidebar in Canvas?
Please see Canvas: How do I add Flipgrid to my sidebar?