Have a question about Flipgrid with Canvas, or the LTI integration? Check out these FAQs!
- How do members open the Assignment? It keeps asking for a Join Code or password!
- Can I split members into smaller groups within the Course?
- Why can't another lead open the Flipgrid Group from the same Canvas Course?
- Can I use Flipgrid in Canvas without the integration?
- Why is the 'Share' button greyed out on my Flipgrid Topic?
- How can I duplicate or copy an existing Flipgrid Group or Topic to Canvas?
- Where's Flipgrid on the Canvas App Store?
- Why is Flipgrid missing from the sidebar in Canvas?
- Can I reuse the Consumer Key and Shared Secret?
How do members open the Assignment? It keeps asking for a Join Code or password!
If the LTI was successfully installed, members need to open the Canvas website or app first to join the Flipgrid Assignment - and they won't need a Join Code nor password.
- Log into the member Canvas account, and navigate to the Assignment
- The Flipgrid Topic will either load directly on the Assignment page, or there will be a button to load it "in a new window" - click this
- If they're on a computer:
- Record right away by clicking Record a Response
- If they're on a mobile device:
- Download the free Flipgrid app first, from the Android Play Store or iOS App Store
- Open the Assignment in the Canvas app, and tap Launch External Tool
- Tap Record a Response, after Flipgrid opens in a web browser, and then Open in app after the prompt
- They will be dropped directly into the recorder on the Flipgrid app
Once they've recorded and submitted their response, the videos will appear in the Canvas SpeedGrader for leads to review.
Can I split members into smaller groups within the Course?
The LTI will allow all members that can participate in the course to access your associated Flipgrid group and all its topics. That said, however, you can split your members into smaller groups using Canvas:
- Split your members into different course sections
- Create a new assignment for every section
- Assign each assignment to only the members in that specific section
Please view another excellent video walkthrough by our Flipgrid ambassador, Andy Knueven, to see how this is done; and how to grade all video submissions from every course section at once in SpeedGrader.
If you don't need the SpeedGrader integration for Flipgrid, you might consider skipping the LTI with Canvas and simply share individual Flipgrid topics with smaller groups in your course via join links.
Why can't another lead open the Flipgrid Group from the same Canvas Course?
The integration forms a unique link between the Canvas and Flipgrid accounts of the lead that installed it, so it won't recognise a different lead's account.
We currently can't enable a secondary lead to view the member videos from Canvas, so they won't have access to features e.g. SpeedGrader either. As a workaround, however: if the primary lead adds the secondary lead as a CoPilot to the Flipgrid Group, the secondary lead will at least be able to view the videos from Flipgrid.
Can I use Flipgrid in Canvas without the integration?
You can still share Flipgrid Groups and Topics in Canvas via the usual methods e.g. Join Code or embedding into the web page. Check out these articles for more details!
Please note, however, that responses to Flipgrid Topics shared this way will not appear in SpeedGrader since they're not connected to Canvas.
Why is the 'Share' button greyed out on my Flipgrid Topic?
The Group is integrated into Canvas, so it can't be opened by others outside of the Canvas Course - and members must open it from inside Canvas. If you'd like to share the Topic with others, you can disconnect the Group from Canvas.
How can I duplicate or copy an existing Flipgrid Group or Topic to Canvas?
Where's Flipgrid on the Canvas App Store?
Why is Flipgrid missing from the sidebar in Canvas?
Please see Canvas: How do I add Flipgrid to my sidebar?