If you have trouble after following our installation guide, here are steps to resolve some common issues! If none of them work or apply, you can reset your integration with our uninstallation guide instead.
- Videos Missing from SpeedGrader
- Camera Issues or Missing Buttons on Flipgrid
- Cannot Log Into Flipgrid on Safari
- LTI Launch Error or 'Connect Flipgrid to Canvas' with Red Rectangle
Videos Missing from SpeedGrader
If NONE of your students' videos appear in SpeedGrader:
Something went wrong with the LTI installation. It's difficult to determine what specifically, so we recommend deleting the integration and starting from scratch - please see Canvas LTI Integration - Uninstall.
If SOME of your students' videos appear in SpeedGrader:
There could be several reasons:
- Topic wasn't added via Canvas Assignments: for your Flipgrid Topic to be connected to SpeedGrader, you must add this Topic via Canvas's Assignments tab. When creating a new Canvas Assignment, select External Tool as the 'Submission Type' and then select Flipgrid as the tool.
- Students accessed Flipgrid via sidebar: previously, when you added Flipgrid to Canvas, the default setting shows Flipgrid in the course sidebar. Videos won't show in SpeedGrader if students submit them via this Navigation sidebar access, so you can remove it from the course sidebar. New integration installations will not have this issue.
- Students switched Topics manually: after opening one Assignment via Canvas, students might have switched to other Topics in the same Group (Canvas Course) during the same Flipgrid session - instead of exiting and re-entering each Assignment via Canvas. Please instruct your students to always record their videos by going through Canvas to open each Assignment.
Camera Issues or Missing Buttons on Flipgrid
This happens sometimes when Flipgrid is embedded into the Canvas Assignment. Please update your Assignment settings to open Flipgrid in a new tab instead:
- Open your Canvas Course, and navigate to the Assignment
- Click Edit Assignment Settings on the right
- Scroll down to 'Submission Type', and check/turn on Load This Tool In A New Tab
- Hit Save at the bottom to save your changes
Can't Log Into Flipgrid on Safari
Unfortunately, Safari blocks the ability to log in as an educator when one website is embedded into another. You'll have to go directly to https://admin.flipgrid.com/ to log in, or use another browser e.g. Edge or Chrome to log in via Canvas.
You can still, however, create Canvas Assignments with Flipgrid as the external submission type and review videos via SpeedGrader in Safari - without having to log into your educator account.