Text comments allow your learners to respond to video Responses using text. The engaging feature complements the ability to share a video comment and - as always - you as the educator are in control. This article will walk you through:
- What are text comments?
- Who can leave text comments?
- How are text comments moderated?
- How do you enable text comments on a Topic?
- How do learners create a text comment?
What are text comments?
Text comments are replies to a video Response on a Topic. Learners can reply to a video with a video comment, text comment, or a text comment with a video comment. Learners can use up to 500 characters in a text comment. Currently, text comments are formatted in plain text.
Who can leave text comments?
Only those who have access to the Topic or Group can leave text comments on video Responses. You can review and update this at any time via Access Control in your Topic or Group settings.
Text comments are not currently available with Guest Access, the Canvas Integrations, nor the Passport/Carnegie Learning Integration.
How are text comments moderated?
Just as you can do with Flipgrid videos, you can choose to moderate text comments, meaning you as the educator will have the power to review and approve comments before they are made available to fellow students. Learn more about moderation here.
We also are excited to introduce automatic moderation to help review comments and offer your students the opportunity to reflect upon and revise any potentially insensitive comments before posting.
How do you enable Text Comments?
- Login to your educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
- Within Discussion, navigate to the Topic
- Select Actions and then Edit Topic
- Within Video Features, select either of the following for Text Comments
- Text and Video Comments
- Text Comments Only
- Select the blue Update Topic button to save your changes
By default, Comments will be set to Text and Video Comments unless the default Topic settings have been set. To save a preferred Comment type, update your Default Topics settings in your Profile settings.
How do learners create a text comment?
- Join the discussion by entering the Join Code at www.flipgrid.com or on the free Flipgrid app
- Select a video Response
- Select the Add a Comment button below the video
- Enter the text comment and press Enter or the send icon
If the comment is moderated, learners will receive the message "This Topic is moderated and your comment will appear once it has been approved."
If the student attempts to submit a comment that contains potentially inappropriate words or phrasing, Flipgrid will automatically prevent the comment from being submitted and alert the student to update the comment.